Saturday, April 9, 2016

Why I Use Spotify

Many of my posts include playlists so you can sample the music I'm talking about. These are on the music streaming service Spotify. To get the best use of the Spunk Rock blog, I suggest to follow the playlists.

I've used a lot of streaming services over the years, and there are reasons why I've opted to build this blog around Spotify in particular.

First of all, if you're not sure how to use these playlists.. it is easy. You'll need to download and install the Spotify player. It functions much like others such as Windows Media Player or iTunes. But what is different is that it does not import and play "your" music. (Actually, there is a function to play local music files, but that's not the point.)

Rather than import "your" files, it works with the entire Spotify library, which is almost everything you could want, with a few notable hold-outs.

Once you have it up and running, the hyperlinks in my posts should take you right to the playlist, which you can then follow, or just play. If you follow a playlist, it will appear in your library, and you can take it off line, if you prefer.

Now, there is a free version, and a paid version. For the record, I use the paid version myself, and I do recommend it. However, I realize some people will not go there. No problem. You can still use the free (ad supported) version to play all of the Spunk Rock playlists. You will have advertisements in that case.

One thing I like about Spotify is that it does have a free tier. I started there myself and used it for some time before concluding that it was the right service for me. Had there been no free version, I probably would never have gotten to that conclusion. One of its best functions is sharing playlists - the modern equivalent of a mix tape. That would never work without a free version, because I could never ask people to take on a monthly payment just to hear my silly little playlists. Beyond the ads, there are other reasons to upgrade, for example, the free version does not have full functionality on a smart phone.

Spotify has been criticized by some for its free tier. Some artists choose not to put their music there, or to do so after a delay. Of course, this is their prerogative.  They are the creators. All I do is sit around and enjoy their work, and occasionally write some words about it.

But it is also our prerogative to criticize. When it comes to artists withholding from Spotify, not all are equal. For example, Spunk-Rock poster child Chantal Claret has withheld some of her tracks, because, as I understand it, the payout for artists like that is small, and it provides a legitimate way for people to get the music for free who might otherwise purchase it. In her case, I think that's fine.

But what about pop superstar Taylor Swift? She has famously taken her music off the service because (she claims) she objects to the idea that music should be free, implying this has been done on principle. I take issue with this.

Let's not forget, Taylor Swift is ridiculously over-paid as it is. She is part of the 1% of (mediocre) artists consuming 99% of music industry revenues. Keep in mind that there are serious rock-n-roll'ers out there struggling to pay the bills. I take their objections seriously.

If Taylor Swift cared about fair compensation for artists, she would not be taking a stand against Spotify, it would be against the many sites that allow music sharing with ZERO compensation for artists. Personally, I don't know how those sites work, but I'm told it can be done.

Spotify's payout for struggling artists is small. This is true. It is also true that their payout is directly proportional to the number of paid subscribers. And a good majority of their revenue goes to artists. The more people that buy in, the more dollars they pay out. That simple. So Taylor Swift could have a more positive influence by putting her music up to encourage her minions to use the service.

Purchasing discs is a thing of the past, and pay-per-download will not stand the test of time, I don't think. So you'd better start swimming or you'll sink like a stone. Streaming is the new market, and Spotify is part of the solution, not part of the problem. They provide a way to generate revenue in an era where file sharing is easy (I'm told).

Personally, I take some pride in being part of their paid subscriber base. In being one who contributes to supporting what I love.  By the way, if you are in a band and really kicking ass, I will (or already have) buy tickets and come to your show if you play within driving distance of my home town. While there, I will likely buy an overpriced T-shirt or other merch. In some cases I do this like a tip.. for kicking so much ass. But before I can come to your show, I have to hear the music and love it. And there are hundreds of new records every month. Do you really think I going to buy them all? There has to be a better way. Streaming services are it.

Now, enjoy a mixtape:
https://open.spotify.com/user/fluid3sally/playlist/3WOjwAXMdIqajy46OPuinw




No comments:

Post a Comment