Saturday, May 13, 2017

New Paramore

New Record: Paramore, After Laughter





Paramore is one of the better known of the modern pop-rock bands making a fresh spunky sound. While I was never among the crowds of die-hard Paramore fans, I have dug several of their songs over the years, and I have been cautiously optimistic that they might do something exciting with this new record.

Maybe not.

This record has a softer edge compared to the classic Paramore sound. That in itself is not a bad thing.. I like it when artists move in new directions (hopefully you've realized by now that I'm not trying to live in the past).  But I'm used to finding some hard-hitting riffs with melody hooks to engage and excite me as a listener. Here, they seem to be going for a more relaxed and introspective feel.. and I'm not sure they've yet learned how to go there.

There are undertones throughout this record reminiscent of Blondie (who, by the way, had a new record of their own last week.) I like Blondie a lot, but what I am talking here is an Island reggae type of beat. It does not work very well for them. "Hard Times" starts out this way, and moves into lyrical territory that just does not match. Another example would be the wind chimes at the beginning of "Pool". I don't have a problem with wind chimes per se, but I don't see how they belong in this song.


There are a few forgetable tracks, and then "Fake Happy" is a stand-out track for me, one of the more interesting song structures, and closer to the quality I expect from this band.

"26" is a skipper.. maybe interesting lyrically, but a sleeper otherwise.

"Grudges" picks up the tempo enough to pull my attention back, but never quite hits it hard enough.

"Caught in the Middle" has a catchy funky groove that I'm digging.. another of the better tracks for me.

"Idle Worship" continues the trend of better tracks toward the end of the record. this is an interesting song structure that will be worth a few more plays.

Next, they drop the ball with "No Friend". Total filler, WTF? It looks like this one could have ended after about 10 tracks. "Tell Me How" brings some feeling to end on a bittersweet note. I like the album composition there.


Overall, a lack-luster record.. I had hoped for more. I'm left with the sense that I don't really get what they were going for on this record. Maybe a swing and miss, or maybe I just don't see it.


No comments:

Post a Comment