Sunday, March 6, 2016

New Record: Tonight Alive - Limitless





Tonight Alive was one of those bands I knew was out there, and I knew they were good. But I hadn't taken the time yet to listen closely. So the bad news is, I may have been missing some cool tunes (until now.) The good news.. that allows me to approach this album clean-slate, without comparison.. better/worse than the last one?

So without reference to their previous stuff, I'll instead say this is one of the coolest records I've heard this year, and the first time in many months that I've had a new record I wanted to play over and over and over. It dropped Friday, and I've I've played it through 5 or 6 times in the last 24 hours.

It is also lyrically, which is a comment I don't often make after the first few listens. But many of these songs have the key feature I look for lyrically, which is a central rally refrain to anchor the anthemic feel. Lines like "I just wanna be free" and "drive tonight until we see the light". These lyrical hooks give the songs something to relate to, something to rally around - where that "something" is open to the interpretation of the listener. To me, this is the way to write a good song.. as opposed to a song "about" something specific that will ware out after a few plays. So I think these songs are well written, instrumentally and lyrically.

The first two tracks open with a great start. To Be Free has an anthemic feel ("Don't come looking for me, I don't wanna be found I just wanna be free") and is easy to sing along. Oxygen has a pleasant opening and a passionate chorus that makes being alive something of value. When Human Interaction comes around to the mantra "I will be better" it makes me feel good. hopeful. like music should to do. 

Drive right now would be my favorite from this album, if I had to pick. The "yea-yea-yea, no-no-no, my way or the highway part"... again... makes me feel good. and the beat is very well done, great feel.

There is a distinctly non-heavy edge to first 4 songs. As you may have noticed, I'm not one to shy away from a heavy riff. But I also value something with a more relaxing edge.The first four songs have an uplifting feel that I like a lot. it's refreshing.

The middle of the record changes, and gets a bit darker and introspective.. still good songs throughout.

As to their previous work, I've stated that I hadn't heard much. Based on what little I did hear, it sounds like they have found their voice on this record, in a way that stands out from the crowd more than before. So I look forward to hearing more from this promising band. This one is a strong candidate for 2016 top-10.

No comments:

Post a Comment